Kia ora whānau,
Next week on Friday 11th May we will be planting several trees in the playground. These trees will provide
shade in the future and will go a long way in continuing to beautify what is already a lovely outdoor play
space for children. The planting begins at 9.00am and we will be encouraging children to participate in this
process. You are welcome to join us during the morning if you would like to watch what is happening. Two
teachers recently attended professional development on creating wonderful outdoor environments and how
to encourage tamariki (children) to become kaitiaki (guardians) for Papatūānuku (mother earth). By
encouraging children to see that care needs to be taken in planting and nurturing of living plants, we hope
that they learn more about how to be good kaitiaki.
This month we had a firefighter talk about fire safety and some children went on an excursion to the Papamoa
library. Easter passed by quickly and we are steadily heading towards the cooler months. Please make every
effort to label all your child/ren’s clothing with their name/s. Lost property is difficult to return when clothing
is not named. Further on you’ll read about the new staff and families we have been welcoming to Grow.
Please say hello to those who are new to Grow, because we were all once new and it feels great to be
included. Ka kite ano.
We have welcomed Andrea Jamieson to Mangatawa. Andrea will work at Grow from Monday to Thursday. Stacey Powell, Courtney Jones and Tiana Ririnui are with us in Hikurangi. Stacey has worked in the UK and is working from Monday to Friday. Courtney and Tiana are both working Monday to Thursday and have their sons with us. Amy our student teacher from Te Rito Maioha is with us for the next four weeks and we also have Serena from Papamoa College’s Gateway programme, spending the next ten weeks on a Wednesday.
We farewell Renee Congreave on Friday 4th May as she is moving closer to where she lives. We are grateful for Renee’s input at Grow.
Wet bags are now in action…. We realise they are not entirely waterproof and would like to apologise if this has caused problems. Children’s soiled clothing will continue to be placed inside a plastic bag in the wetbag and we will work towards eliminating the use of plastic as we go along. Wetbags can be tied to the outside of the child’s bag. We realise the name comes off when the bag is washed and will likely get a lighter coloured bag, so that the name can be put on with a permanent marker.
We are after any milk bottle tops and natural recourses, please see Robyn for more information
- Please ensure your child comes to Grow ECE with shoes on, the grass is wet in the mornings with the cooler weather.
- Amy in the kitchen would love any old ice cream containers you may not use at home.
Our Daily Programme
Just what is it children at Grow do every day you might well ask? You see them play and have fun, you receive learning stories through Storypark and you know they are well cared for. The Early Childhood curriculum we use is called Te Whāriki and we base all our planning and assessment around this amazing document. In 2017 after twenty years, the curriculum was revised. Our staff are currently looking at how we deliver the curriculum in our programme at Grow. If any of our whānau would like to let us know what it is they would like to see more of in the programme of learning we offer, please come in and talk with us. In the meantime, here is a useful pamphlet put out by the Ministry of Education for parents on Te Whāriki.https://www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Early-Childhood/Te-Wharik...
The Local Community
See below what is happening in and around the local community.
- Yummy Tucker (next to Grow ECE) is now open on Friday nights for Fish and Chips – 5pm – 8pm, call 262 2200 to place an order.
- Little Big Markets – Saturday 5th May 9.00am – 2.00pm – Coronation Park, Mt Maunganui
- Tauranga Farmers Market – Saturday 5th May 7.45am - 12.00pm – 31 fifth Ave, Tauranga
- Tauranga Home Show – 4th, 5th & 6th May – 10am – 5pm – ASB Arena Baypark
- Closing Night Fireworks plus Fredrickson Stock Car Gold Cup – Saturday 5th May – 6pm – ASB Arena Baypark
- Professional Development for ECE – Minders of Mindfulness – Friday 11th May 2.00pm – Greerton Motor Inn, tickets online through www.eventfinder.co.nz.
- Vintage and Retro Sale – Saturday 26th May – 10am – The Historic Village