Did you see the news last night? A Kiwi man Troy Skinner met a girl online and travelled half way around the world to meet her...
The story, if a little weird, sounds benign enough. That is until you look deeper into the reported details.
- He met her online using the chat app "Discord"
- He travelled to Virginia, USA unannounced
- The girl was only 14 years old
- She had asked him to stop communicating with her.
- The man purchased duct tape and a knife from Walmart shortly after arriving in the US
- The man was shot by the girl's mother whilst breaking into their house.
We all know the worlds a little crazy, but this hits too close to home.
One of our directors, Aaron Sinclair is also co-founder of NZ Charity Safe Surfer who help parents keep kids safe online. They have a number of resources available, one of these is a fantastic book that introduces the topic of internet safety in a sensitive and age appropriate manner.
"I can't state how important it is to be proactive in your approach to internet safety. Through early education and filtering of adult or unwanted content we can help our children avoid many of the dangers that face kids online today" says Aaron
With Safe Surfer's permission and encouragement we've attached a PDF copy of their children's book "Keeping Safe on the Web" here.
Hard copies of this great book are available at Grow ECE. Please feel free to drop by during business hours to pickup your copy
As a charity Safe Surfer have made their book available free of charge but we'd encourage you to make a donation towards this fantastic work.